How do I participate in the FLEX program?
Scholarship recipients are selected through an open, merit-based competition, which takes place each fall. Any student who meets the eligibility requirements may take part in the competition.
FLEX Program recruitment will be held online in 2020. Any student who meets eligibility criteria, has internet access and electronic device can participate from any region. Students will need to upload proof of eligibility (original birth certificate/ ID/passport), one recent 3×4 cm photo.
For 2020 recruitment year students should be:
- Be born between January 1, 2004 and July 16, 2006 AND
- Be currently enrolled in a secondary school in the 9th, 10th, 11th grades*
- Have an academic standing of “good” or better
- Have previously studied English and demonstrated English Language ability at the time of registration
- Meet U.S. visa eligibility requirements
- Be a citizen of Georgia and be able to receive a passport in Georgia.
- Be enrolled and study at school in Georgia
The age/grade eligibility requirements for students with DISABILITIES are the following:
- Students must be born between February 15, 2003 and July 15, 2006
- They must be studying in 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades*
*Students who change their grade level to an ineligible grade before their departure to the United States will be disqualified.
The competition consists of three rounds:
Round 1 Application and 3 essays
Students meeting the age and grade criteria in Round 1 will fill out an application and write three essays (in English) in response to specific questions. All students who submit application are moved to Round 2 by receiving the link on their e-mail in 24 hrs. If the student does not receive the link- please immediately contact American Councils Georgia office.
Round 2 15 minute English Language Test
In round 2 students take a 15 minute, 2 text, 12-question, multiple-choice English language test . The results of Round 2 are announced via e-mail in the end of November – throughout December.
Round 3 A standardized test of English, essays, an application and an interview
Students selected to participate in Round 3 take a standardized multiple-choice English test, write two in-class essays (in English) in response to specific questions, participate in a group activity, and take part in a one-on-one interview. In addition, students must complete and submit to the American Councils Tbilisi office (within 2 weeks) an application form. The results of Round 3 are announced by telephone approximately 6 months later. All Round 3 participants will be notified of outcomes, whether they are positive or negative.
Any participant who tries to submit 2 applications will be disqualified!